Thursday, April 17, 2008

Chivalry is alive and well in Salt Lake City

In honor of a co-worker's birthday, our doctors ordered us lunch from Cafe Rio. I volunteered to pick up the 20 meals ordered; however, no one was available to go with me! At 11:15 I ventured out the door to pick up the meals (which were to be finished by 11:40). I pulled into the parking lot of Cafe Rio, walked through the door and was informed that the meals were not yet ready. Foiled!
I ordered a drink, sat down and proceeded to make phone calls. Waiting in silence is just not my style. After pleasant conversations with my sister and parents, I noticed that it was far past my pick-up time. I approached the counter and inquired about the large order.

"It's not ready yet," the lady behind the counter said matter-of-factly.
Slightly put out, I checked my clock...it was 30 minutes late! I patiently waited with arms crossed, lips pursed, tapping my right foot perhaps too quickly.
Finally, the lady behind the counter reappeared with fifteen bags. Hmm. I hadn't thought this through. "I'll just take two trips," I thought.
As I began filling my arms with bag after bag (thinking that maybe I could make it in one trip), I hear those wonderful words, "Can I give you a hand with that?" I turned around and was face to face with the sweetest old man you've ever seen. "Thank you," I replied. The man began removing the bags from my arms and managed to burden the rest as well. He followed me to my car and put the numerous bags into my car.
"Thank you very much for your help," I said again.
"Oh, you're welcome, young lady. I was finished with my meal and felt like I needed some exercise...so, thank you!"

No comments: