Friday, November 30, 2007

The End of a Friend


First off, let it be known that I love reading. I love literature, I love language, I love being so immersed in a book that I wouldn't notice a small earthquake as long as I was reading.

There are few books that put me into such a trance...Catch-22 happened to be one of them.

Today I finished Catch-22, after a month and a half of reading. Usually such a long time would suggest that I didn't enjoy the book. On the contrary, it was one of the best books I have read. It was sarcastic, ironic, hilarious, thought-provoking, and heart-breaking. I have never laughed so hard at a book as I have with this one.

While finishing a book creates a feeling of accomplishment, I feel a little sad to be finished with it. I enjoyed every page of it and, while it had a good ending, I wanted it to continue. I wanted to follow the protagonist and see if he succeeds. I am hesitant to read the sequal, as sequals are usually depressing and stupid, but maybe I will. Just to see if it can compare.

So, good-bye, Yossarian. Good luck in Sweden. Perhaps I will pick you up again in a few years. On to The Sound and the Fury!

1 comment:

Hilary said...

As much as I read I have never read this classic! I am reading a book titled Ireland right now and I have a sneaking suspicion you will want to read it when I am done. It is really good so far!